Open Call: Bruntwood x Grand Union Artists-in-Residence
Apply by 5th November 2021
Bruntwood and Grand Union are partnering again this year to offer Artists the opportunity to take residence at our Cornwall Buildings space in Birmingham city centre.
Now in its third year, the programme provides a free, specially designed studio space for artists interested in working in residence within the environment of another organisation. Artists Laura Cooper and JJ Guest are currently in residence, producing new work and exhibitions, developing research and undertaking commissions.
As Birmingham approaches an unprecedented surge in growth, it is vital that the city’s arts and culture scene continues to be supported, as well as developing the city’s home-grown talent. We have a long-term commitment to creating thriving cities, and recognise that both arts and culture are key components to a city’s quality of life, as well as being powerful economic drivers.
Grand Union is committed to providing access to spaces for supporting and advocating for artistic practice in Birmingham and wider social contexts. This artist residency and studio space initiative further compliments the organisation’s existing provision of 12 artists’ studios and Modern Clay, a ceramics facility offering open access to artists and community groups in the region.
The residencies will begin in March 2022. Together with Grand Union, we'll select the two artists we feel would benefit most from the opportunity. The successful artists will receive the following:
– 24-hour access to a free, shared workspace for 12 months.
– Mentoring from Grand Union’s curatorial team.
– Integration within the wider Bruntwood community, and introductions to their clients and customers.
– An open invitation to take part in wider Grand Union social and studio events.
– An exhibition hosted by Bruntwood in one of their buildings.
During the 12 month residency, the following would be expected of each artist:
– To use the Cornwall Studio as their main place of work.
– To host at least one open studio event.
– To hold at least one workshop on a subject of their choice.
– To take part in at least one Digbeth First Friday event.
– To create one unique artwork in response to a brief and budget developed in discussion with Bruntwood and Grand Union. The budget will be provided by Bruntwood and must be used to cover material and manufacturing costs. The resulting artwork would belong to Bruntwood to be showcased in one of their properties.
TO APPLY please send in ONE PDF document including: –
A proposal giving an overview of your practice and how you would like to use the studio/residency (300 – 500 words max or a video lasting no longer than 5 minutes)
5 images of recent work or web links (max pixels 1200 on longest dimension).
Deadline: 5th November 2021 5pm
Grand Union are happy to receive applications from artists and performers of all disciplines and groups, especially those currently underrepresented in the arts sector and actively encourage those from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Send applications to: email@example.com.
Please state ‘Bruntwood x GU’ in the subject header.