How is Bruntwood working towards Net Zero Carbon
Since we made our pledge as the first property company in the UK to sign up to the World Green Building Council Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment back in 2018, we’ve been working hard both behind the scenes and on-site to make sure we hit those targets, and not only reduce the carbon footprint of our buildings, but do our part to reduce that of our cities’ too.
Working with Carbon Trust we’ve set Science Based Targets and will be working internally, as well as with our partners in order to reach those targets. So far, we’ve reduced our carbon emissions by 21% in the last two years.
Across both our Bruntwood SciTech and Bruntwood Works portfolios, we’ve been working on initiatives and projects, both large and small, to help reduce our carbon footprint. This includes:
- Installing a Tesla Powerpack system at Manchester Science Park
- Installing solar PV across our portfolio
- Creating a combined heat and power system at Alderley Park to capture waste heat and turn it into thermal energy
- Achieving ISO 50001 certification, integrating energy management to help us to use energy more efficiently and set targets for reduction.
- And you may have recently seen that we’re set to open the first green park in Manchester in a century at Circle Square with Symphony Park
And we’re also taking on board the expertise of our partner organisations:
- We’ve partnered with B&M Waste to divert 100% of our waste from landfill to be reused or recycled, even our coffee grounds are used to make biofuel
- We’ve worked with Farm Urban to install the UK’s first hydroponic edible wall in a workspace
- At Alderley Park, our food waste goes to Anaerobic Digestion to generate gas for the national GRID
And we’re hoping to help our partners in return by adding value in the areas we have expertise:
- We’re supporting our partners at Manchester Climate Change Agency on new building standards
- And we’re working with GMCA on a Local Energy Market project
And we’ve got a busy year ahead with many projects being planned behind the scenes. We look forward to sharing these with you very soon.